Saturday, June 16, 2012

Not Only By Blood

I am grateful for family -- blood-related and otherwise.

When I think of family, I immediately think of my mom, my dad and my sister (and our dog!). Throughout my existence, they have always shown me what unconditional love is. With them I have a support group that will bail me out financially, defend me from haters, and always pray for my well-being. With them I am safe, with them I am always home. And although I oftentimes act like a brat, even in my adulthood, they still accept me for who I am. They're stuck with me. Good thing.



My family also extends to my cousins, aunt and uncles, who, although I see them only during reunions and special occasions, also provide a caring atmosphere whenever we're together. But then family doesn't need to be confined to just those related by blood or marriage. Friends who stick with you through thick and thin; who have proven time and again that they will be there for you when you need them; who gets you, your feelings, dreams, sense of humor and sense of fashion, and gives you straight up advice when you need it; and who simply want to share their lives with you and yours with them FOR REAL. I may not have that many friends like these, but the ones I have are more than enough for me.




I may be single now at 40 but with my family, I know that I will never be alone. I should be so lucky.



No comments:

Post a Comment